Clear all

Wrecked ice sheet on my Stiga table  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

straighteight
(@straighteight)
Rookie Registered, Member
18/04/2019 4:23 pm  

Would anyone know the best material to use if I want to make my own custom ice sheet for my Stiga board? I priced out purchasing a replacement sheet and that will cost me about $60 (that's with shipping) and I'm wondering if I can just buy a similar material at Home Depot or Lowes. 

Thanks

This topic was modified 1 year ago by straighteight

fdeangelo
(@fdeangelo)
Rookie
21/04/2019 6:52 am  

The ice sheets are very thin plastic. I have never seen anything that thin. I have seen something a bit thicker but I'm not sure where. I would try a hobby web site or arts and crafts site. How about that poster board material? I'm wondering how you are going to cut the slots for the players?

If you are a do it yourself type person that takes pride in doing projects I think you can do this.

ReplyQuote
fdeangelo
(@fdeangelo)
Rookie
21/04/2019 7:46 am  

I was watching this video about customizing a Stiga game and the author created his own ice service with laminated matte paper.

Go to 1:40 which is where he mentions it. 

ReplyQuote
fdeangelo
(@fdeangelo)
Rookie
21/04/2019 8:51 am  

For some reason the URL for the video on customizing a Stiga game and the comment about a custom made ice sheet did not stay on the above post.

ReplyQuote
thf-lead
(@thf-lead)
Member Admin
21/04/2019 9:22 am  

Thanks for posting. We'll check into it and see what the problem was when you posted the video.

ReplyQuote
Btanner77
(@btanner77)
Rookie
06/07/2019 1:57 pm  

I came up with a pretty good solution that has worked for me and has actually made the game a bit faster. I bought a cheap picture frame at Walmart that comes with a very thin sheet of clear plastic. I cut the plastic to size and then cut the slots in the plastic with an exacto blade. It took a little longer than I thought it would, but the new plastic layer covered the cracks in the sheet and the game moves a lot faster now. 

ReplyQuote
Rover528
(@rover528)
Rookie
07/07/2020 8:43 pm  

Is there a way to straighten the plastic ice sheet. I have a Stiga Stanley Cup game and left and right players ice sheet is cupped upwards and the Puck gets caught on the edge.  Awful annoying. 

I have removed ice sheet and cleaned it up now I need some advice if you know how to make it flat again. 

Thanks

ReplyQuote
chinook65
(@chinook65)
Member Moderator
14/07/2020 8:30 am  

@rover528  That stiga ice sheet is fairly thin and become brittle over time, so your options are somewhat limited depending on how old your table is. 

If you have a heat gun, you can try a 'very little' bit of heat applied to the bottom of the sheet and then press the sheet down with some weight (heavy books, etc.) Be careful as some of those heat guns can throw a lot of heat and you don't want to wreck your sheet!

Or if you have a sunny spot in the house, just lie the sheet in that spot, face down, for a few hours and see if it's warm enough to allow you to press it the same way. 

Hope this helps.

ReplyQuote
Rover528
(@rover528)
Rookie
14/07/2020 3:22 pm  

@chinook65 I've had the game a couple years but no one played it so it was in our sun room where it get hot during the days and in the winter get down to - 30'C.

The plastic us in good shape(not brittle)

1-Is a hair dryer hot enough. 

2-Can I roll it up and place it in the microwave for some time limit and then place it upside down on the flat granite counter and put something on it to make it flat. 

3-Do you what kind of glue is used to hold the ice sheet to the board.

4-Is it possible to use glue on the highest edge near where the player slides to hold the edge of the ice sheet down.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. 

Dean

ReplyQuote
chinook65
(@chinook65)
Member Moderator
14/07/2020 7:40 pm  

@rover528 a hair dryer might do the trick. I would not recommend the microwave at all. 

You can get a product called Glue dots that should keep the sheet in place and help it on the corners also.

ReplyQuote
Rover528
(@rover528)
Rookie
15/07/2020 8:29 pm  

@chinook65 which would be better for applying.  The glur dot liquid applicator or glue dot peel and stick.  Can I leave old glue on or remove it and which is the best way to remove old glue as it's very sticky.

Thanks 

ReplyQuote
chinook65
(@chinook65)
Member Moderator
17/07/2020 12:46 pm  

@rover528 I'm not familiar with the liquid version, so I don't know. When I took my sheet off, I was able to remove it by rolling it and pulling it off. I would go with all new glue, as the old glue will attract dust and dirt if it's exposed for too long, making it less tacky. 

Post a photo when you're done fixing it! 

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: