Custom Teams for Gretzky Table Hockey  

Page 1 / 2 Next
  RSS

chinook65
(@chinook65)
Member Moderator
31/07/2018 6:16 am  

This was the first custom team I created after wiping the dust off my collection in the basement. I had a spare team set so I wanted to see what kind of results I could acheive. Thoughts?

This topic was modified 11 months  ago by chinook65
This topic was modified 6 months  ago by chinook65

ReplyQuote
Steeler16
(@steeler16)
Rookie
20/12/2018 7:13 pm  

This is one of the best custom jobs I've ever seen! Well done!! Gretzky didn't last long enough to develop a huge following, so to see some customs like this is rare indeed.  I'd love to see more! How does the paint hold up to the rigors of game play?

ReplyQuote
chinook65
(@chinook65)
Member Moderator
21/12/2018 5:13 am  

Thanks for the compliment. This was my first attempt at a custom team and I'm happy with the final result. Unfortunately, I used spray paint that was not intended for plastic, so the players are very tacky, and I've tried applying a clear coat to seal it, but no luck.  It's on a shelf in my office. If you have any suggestions, let me know. 

I've made a few more since then: Bruins Home Black , Ducks Purple/Teal, Jets Home Blue, Flyers Alternate Orange. Those teams do play well and have held up pretty well. I can get some photos posted of those.

I have some additional teams I'd like to create when time permits: Oilers Orange, Vegas Knights Home, Predators Home, Calgary Home, and maybe a few throwbacks. Cheers!     

ReplyQuote
Steeler16
(@steeler16)
Rookie
21/12/2018 5:21 pm  

Were you using acrylic or enamel paints? Did you sand or use a primer of any kind before you painted them? If I had any suggestions, it would be to use a plastic adhesion promoter which should act as a clear primer. The surface would need to be cleaned of all dirt/oils prior to any application, and you'd need to allow for a good time frame for everything to properly cure.

I've never tackled a custom paint job on a 3D player myself, but it looks like Gretzky would be the best style for that. I'm not sure how many of these Kevin Sports or Buddy L guys are really floating around on the secondary market these days. They seem to be pretty expensive  when I do see them. Do you think it'd possible to use a 3D printer to make new blank players for customizing?

I'd love to see the photos of your other custom teams whenever you get a chance.

ReplyQuote
chinook65
(@chinook65)
Member Moderator
22/12/2018 3:58 pm  

Sure thing. I'll post photos of those other teams and the ICEFX tables in the other topic too. 

I didn't really do any prep, other than clean and dry the players beforehand with water and soap. I just used spray paint for 2 base coats and acrylic paint for secondary colours. After making the Avs team, I switched to a plastic-friendly spray paint which seems to work well. 

There are actually some affordably-priced players on eBay that I've purchased. I have some of these team packs and  they have worked well. I believe they're modeled after the Buddy L version of the Gretzky game, in which the players are flat-footed and there's no raised peg on one foot. 

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Gretzky-Red-Blue-All-Star-Table-Hockey-Game-Teams-2/372534558231?hash=item56bcca3e17:g:HrwAAOSwWLBaA0cR:rk:86:pf:0  

ReplyQuote
Steeler16
(@steeler16)
Rookie
22/12/2018 4:45 pm  

The plastic friendly paint probably has it's own adhesion promoter built in, so that's good to know that it's working well. Might save a lot of time and money for people looking to do customs.

Those players are a good find! I didn't realize Playtoy made a version of Gretzky players. Those must be the one's used with his "All-Star Hockey" version. Cheaper than an NHL license I guess. 🙂

ReplyQuote
chinook65
(@chinook65)
Member Moderator
22/12/2018 7:17 pm  

Here’s a photo of the Flyers alternate jersey from a few seasons back. They have a bit of wear to them, but the paint overall seems to be holding up fairly well.

Steeler16 liked
ReplyQuote
Steeler16
(@steeler16)
Rookie
23/12/2018 7:01 am  

Those look great! Did you clear coat the Flyers too? You're right, it looks like they've held up pretty well considering the beatings these teams take.

ReplyQuote
chinook65
(@chinook65)
Member Moderator
23/12/2018 5:31 pm  

Thanks. I didn't apply the clear coat on these. I was pretty happy with how they looked when I finished painting them, so I figured to quit while I was ahead lol. 

I used a base white spray paint (plastic friendly) and then handpainted the rest with acrylic paint. I created the decals using printable decal paper, on an inkjet printer. Once the ink dried on the decal paper, I applied a sealing spray (not exactly sure what it's called) and it worked great. I'll see about unpacking and photographing the other teams before the Christmas madness begins. 

Cheers,

This post was modified 6 months  ago by chinook65

ReplyQuote
Steeler16
(@steeler16)
Rookie
24/12/2018 3:07 am  

Very cool! Post away! 😀

ReplyQuote
chinook65
(@chinook65)
Member Moderator
02/01/2019 3:33 am  

Happy New Year! 

Found my Ducks custom team. Here they are. 

Steeler16 liked
ReplyQuote
Steeler16
(@steeler16)
Rookie
04/01/2019 7:26 pm  

Happy New Year!

Great job! How painstaking is it to paint the cages of those goalie masks?

Do you tend to prefer to stick with the dark jerseys rather than the whites? I see the teams you mentioned you wanted to do in an earlier post would all have dark uniforms. I've always thought that as cool as it was that Buddy L did white jerseys on some teams, I'd have probably preferred many of them in darks myself as well.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2 Next
Share: