3D Printed glass supports for Gretzky game  

RSS

chinook65
(@chinook65)
Member Moderator
10/08/2018 5:24 pm  

Hey everyone:

If anyone owns the Gretzky table hockey game with the accessory pack that included the benches and glass boards, then you may have experienced a broken bracket or two (as I did) when you had to box the game up. 

So in my search for a replacement, I had a couple options: track down a replacement on Ebay or try to recreate the bracket in a modeling program and fabricate it on a 3D printer. So I chose to model the bracket and fabricate. I had never modeled anything for 3D printing before, so I gave a program called Sketchup a try. I used the online free version that runs in the browser. 

Took me a few hours to learn the application and model the bracket. Since I didn't have a 3D printer, I went online and outsourced the print. The result was pretty impressive. My model was fabricated using white ABS and the finals were near identical to the original.  They had a little more flex to them, which might make them less prone to breaking when they are removed. Below is a photo of the 3D prints of the 4 brackets that were fabricated.  

Thought I would share in case anyone has thought about 3D printing some custom parts for their games.

ReplyQuote
aaron2therink
(@aaron2therink)
Rookie
21/08/2018 1:31 am  

Fantastic post!  I was was thinking about doing this very thing.  I have a few of these games that I use with the students in the Table Hockey Club I run in my school.  Every time we go to put the games away a bracket snaps.  Thanks again for the post.

ReplyQuote
chinook65
(@chinook65)
Member Moderator
21/08/2018 6:11 pm  

Thanks. Yeah these brackets do snap easily. These ones that I fabricated seem to have some better flexibility than the originals. I've only attached them once, but they seemed to go on and come off a bit easier.

I can make the 3D model available to anyone that wants it. I would prefer to open source it in a way that allows anyone to fabricate it themselves, or I could just fabricate a bunch of them and sell them to anyone that wants it. Any suggestions? 

This post was modified 1 month  ago by chinook65

ReplyQuote
Share: